Rigging

Rigging101 » Rigging128

using dynamic hair curve as an influence object (4 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. greatbear

Posted 5 years ago
    #

Hi,

I've been playing about with Maya's hair system, here's the problem...

Ive got an ordinary poly plane which is skinned to a single joint
    I've then created a 3 degree curve, which spans the length of the plane
    I've then converted the curve into a dynamic curve, and parented the original curve to the joint
    The joint transforms the original and dynamic curve as expected.

I now want to add the dynamic curve as an influence object on the poly plane, (skin - edit smooth skin - add influence) but when I do this and try using interactive playback, the verts on the poly affected by the curve, want to stick to the original position, they dont move with the curve like I wanted.

Is there a way to achieve this (I basically want to use a dynamic curve as an influence object), do I have to parent any of the follicle nodes to the joint also?

Thanks

GB

2. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 5 years ago
    #

I haven't done any work with hair in Maya, but yeah, I would try to convert the hair into joints, and then attach your skin to the joints.

3. greatbear

Posted 5 years ago
    #

Cheers,

That's pretty much the route i've taken - seems to be a little more stable than using the curve as an influence object.

Does anybody know if you can limit the degree of rotational freedom on a dynamic hair curve in Maya? I'm using it to deform a feather, so I only want it to bend in Z (up and down) when the wing is flapped.

The dynamic curve is connected to a joint chain with a spline IK, i've tried limiting the degree of freedom on the joints but the result aint so pretty, tends to pop a lot.

Thank-you

4. BrianKenny

Posted 4 years ago
    #

create a new joint chain matching the position of your spline ik joints and parent/ point/ orient constrain the axis that you want to move and use those constrained joints as the bind joints to your geo.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 103 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl