Rigging

Rigging101 » Rigging128

Methods to re-orient joints simple vs complicated (5 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hey there,

I've found an interesting question in the digital tutors forum, i'll just copyPaste it in here:

Hey there DT community!

this is my very first post here, and i'm really excited about that!

I've just completed the "******" course and i'm wondering: whats the best method for orienting joints?

During the course ***** uses the following method (which is a bit complicated in my point of view):

* Unparent joints, create locator, match it„s position with the joint and move it a bit outwards (World x-Axis).
    * Zero out all rotation values (also joint orientation) of joints which are to correct
    * Aim-Constrain for example knee (=driver) to the thigh (up-object = locator) . Delete Constrain afterwards. Correct all joints like this.
    * Copy the rotation values oft he joint to the joint orient attribute and zero out rotation values
    * Re-parent joint chain

my question no is: why not just use Mayas built in joint orient tool to do the job? (sekeleton -> orient joint)
    Is there any drawback using this method i do not know?

thanks in advance for your help and happy learning!

Original Post: http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?26585-Best-method-for-%28re%29orienting-joints

I also can't imagine why the more complicated way should result a better solution.

Maybe you guys know?

2. BrianKenny

Posted 6 years ago
    #

That does sound way overly complicated to me as well. I don't believe that that method described above would get you any different results than the Orient Joint tool.

3. Smapdi

Posted 6 years ago
    #

That was the "old way". jsOrientJoint.mel from Jason Schleifer did all that in a handy click ( I think that was the exact process the tool used, correct me if I'm wrong).

You'll still have to make a decision on orients when dealing with a joint that has two children, the orient joint tool wont know which child joint you want to point at. The orient joint tool should get you by most of the time nowadays.

4. baljeetbhartiya

Posted 6 years ago
    #

(sekeleton -> orient joint)
    This method is so easy and perfect.No any Kind of drawback.I don't know your method but't sounds more complicated.
    Orient Joint is Excellent.

5. baljeetbhartiya

Posted 6 years ago
    #

(sekeleton -> orient joint)
    This method is so easy and perfect.No any Kind of drawback.I don't know your method but't sounds more complicated.
    Orient Joint is Excellent.
    Orient joint not follow the child joints.they orient the child joints like us.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl