Reverse foot rig (5 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hi there!

What method of creating a foot rig do you prefer? I watched/read a few tutorials but there are so many different ways i found. I have to mention that the tutorials I've watched spread from creation year of 2001 to 2010. Now I'm not sure if meanwhile there's a "usual" solid way to create a foot rig.

What method do you use?

Thank you
    L4l

AND...
    Why
    is
    my
    not
    smiling?

2. greatbear

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hi there,

I had the exact same quandry a few months ago, so i posted the issue to this forum. This link should take you to it:

http://www.rigging101.com/forum/topic.php?id=206

3. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hey thanks, helped me out.
    One question gone.. next question here :).

I'm working throug the fahrenheit rigging tutorial (rigging for feature animation).
    Situtaion:
    IK spline setup wit 3 clusters to control it (top, middle, buttom). Now for the controls he creates nurbscurves and parents them to itself to avoid rotation and translation values on the control curves after parenting them to the propriate clusters. Why not justparent the control curves to the cluster without grouping them to themselves and freeze the transformation? He is using maya 7.5, maybe freeze transform wasn't available there. If it was, i really cant see the advantage of grouping the controls to themselves. With the freeze transform method you also get a cleaner hirarchy ... i think.

Thanks

4. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 6 years ago
    #

I'm a bit confused with what is parented to what in your description
    I think I might now what your talking about... or maybe not, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Are you asking about the use of a group node to zero out the ctrl instead of freezing it?

The problem with aligning a ctrl to an object and freeze its transformations is that you can mess up the orientation of the local rotation axis. Is not really messing up, just making the ctrl not be oriented like the object (unless the object has no rotation at all in relation to the world) I know it's important when aligning to joints (like a shoulder FK ctrl for example) because if you freeze it the ctrl wont be "aiming" at the next joint (like the parent joint that the ctrl is controlling). I'm not sure how important would that alignment be when controlling the clusters.

Copying the curve, deleting its shape node and parenting the ctrl to that empty group node will zero out the ctrl transformations and keep it aligned with the joints.

This picture shows the difference between a ctrl that was grouped to have its transformations zeroed out (left) and a ctrl that had its transformations frozen (right) notice how the local rotation axis on the second one is not aiming anymore to the lower joint.
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o140/dimitrifrazao/freeze.png

But yeah... if you don't need the ctrl to be aligned with an object, than freeze it.
    If you're not using rotation, freezing works just fine.

I hope I'm not giving the wrong answer... I'm new to rigging

5. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hey Dimitri thanks,

I think that's what i asked for
    Have to read through again tomorrow, it's 11PM here and i'm really tired.
    Get prepared for some follow up questions ;).

gn8

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl