Chit Chat

Rigging101 » Chit Chat12

What Are Animators Rigging Pet Peeves/Requirements? (4 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. funkymunky6537

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hey Everyone,

For my Honours Project I am rigging a series of creature characters.

I want to make a list of all animators main frustrations with current rigging systems and address them to put together the ultimate method of rigging.

It would also be great to know things to aim for, the most useful features of rigs to help make an animators job run smoothly.

Any advice/comments/discussions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Marnie =]

2. mzahmbie

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hello Marnie! Ultimately with rigging it comes down to what the character is going to need to be able to do. A lot of the time simple FK controls are all you need. I'm not sure that there is any broad ultimate method to rigging, but if you do manage to find one please share it with all of us.

I'm unsure on what you mean when you say rigging systems and where you're at with rigging techniques, but some things to aim for that are always great are IK/FK matching and Space Follow with matching. Matching meaning you can switch IK/FK or the space your controller is following without any noticeable movement in the rig. These are almost necessary if the character needs to interact with moving environment or props, you don't want to make animators eyeball it.

It may sound weird, but the most useful thing to an animator is the thing that they'll use. You could make an awesomely complex system that does some amazing things, but if the animators have a hard time with it it won't get used. My point here is, no matter what you make, keep it simple and straight forward.

3. greatbear

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hi funkyMunky!

have a look at this site, should be tonnes of stuff to go on regarding your project

enjoy

https://sites.google.com/site/mayariggingwiki/home

4. baljeetbhartiya

Posted 6 years ago
    #

This link is very useful.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Chit Chat12
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl