Rigging

Rigging101 » Rigging128

Can't figure out why the second constrain doesn't work. (9 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hi guys!

After reading the "Tip of the day: Don't be afraid to start all over", I also started over.. once, twice and a third time. But the problem i get into is always the same.
    Situattion:
    I have a torso with a three bone fk chain (The iK skin works fine). I added two curves (torso_anim1 and torso_anim2) to control the middle two joints (torso_anim1_joint and torso_anim2_joint). Now if i parent constrain both curves to its appropriate joint, the torso_anim2 curve works like it should. But if i rotate the torso_anim1 curve in either X Y or Z it only rotates the bone in X AND without effecting the mesh?? I have uploaded an Image with the connections and outliner. I would be really happy if someone could help me out.
    http://img19.imageshack.us/f/constrainproblem.jpg/

Please tell me if you need additional info of the rig.

Thank you.

2. mzahmbie

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Heya! I think I duplicated your issue, but let me know if I'm way off the mark here. The problem I think you're hitting is that the 2 curves have no influence over each other. The 2 mid joints are fully controlled by the curves via the parent constraint, so if torso_anim2 doesn't move the joint won't move, and just rotating torso_anim1 doesn't do anything to torso_anim2. To get around this the control curves need to be in a similar fk chain hierarchy as the joints.

Try parenting torso_anim2 to torso_anim1 and see if that does the trick for you.

3. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hey you got it.
    No time to write down more, probably gonna reply tomorrow about why i don't understand why it didn't work.

So long.. thanks

4. mzahmbie

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Whenever you get a chance to reply I'll be happy to explain any grey areas for you

5. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

I tested it know with a really simple joint chain. Am I right saying that if i have control crv 1 and 2 and constrain them to there appropriate joints, the joint 2 doesnt get effected unless the two curves are parented because the joint 2 allways follows the constrained curve no matter if the joint up in the hirachie tells to move?

6. Mark Hanny

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Learing4Life,

please elaborate on how your deformation system is setup. From your picture it looks like you have more than three joints for your spine setup.

7. BrianKenny

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Is your curve torso_anim1 controlling torso_anim2 when it rotates? Otherwise the torso_anim1 will only control the first joint and it will just spin in place without affecting the 2nd joint. Make sure the torso_anim2 curve is a zeroed out control with an extra empty null above it as a parent to take in the stray values when you parent it to torso_anim1.

8. mzahmbie

Posted 6 years ago
    #

You've got that right, when you parentConstraint the joint to the curve it will no longer follow along when you rotate the hierarchy below it because that translation value is locked onto the controlling curve.

9. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Ok i got it :). Didn't know that the hierarchy below won't follow along anymore if there's a constraint.

@Mark Hanny, do you still want to know how it's setup?

Thanks to all.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl