Rigging

Rigging101 » Rigging128

Tip of the day: Don't be afraid to start all over (4 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 6 years ago
    #

I've been working on a tough problem for the last week. Can't go into much details 'cause it's for work and it's for a movie that hasn't been announced yet. But anyhow, I've been fighting and fighting with it. I would get closer and then the whole things would explode on me. It got to the point that it was so complicated that I couldn't keep track of things anymore.
    So yesterday I decided to take a step back and delete all the work done this week.

Sure, I lost a lot of work, and there is a lot of stress associated with "going back" BUT:
    1) I understood the problem a lot better
    2) I had an idea how to fix it
    3) It was much easier to start from scratch that try to fix a broken messy thing

In the end, I managed to rebuild it in just a few hours. Now it's clean, a lot easier to understand and works like intended.

Anyway, my point is that you shouldn't be afraid to delete a lot of work and start again. It could be a good thing. Don't get stuck in a problem and try to force your way through. Sometimes it's better to take a step back, reevaluate what you are doing and try it again from a different angle.

Happy rigging

Javier

2. Sam

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Well, congrats :). And thanks for the Tipp. And even if you deleted tooo much or the wrong thing... may i quote a text of a book i'm reading:

Quote: "Make sure that you always save the file, then back it up twice and send a copy to your Mom!"

3. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 6 years ago
    #

HA.. That's what I do with my photography.

Saving is very important yeah. At work it's a bit more complicated 'cause it's not like Maya that you have basically one or a couple of files. we don't work on one file, but many many across all different areas.
    So even if I'm working on a hand, I could have tens of files, sometimes even hundreds opened and working at the same time spread all over.

Anyhow.. yeah, save and save often and keep versions if you can

4. pushkar.rautela

Posted 6 years ago
    #

i'll follow ur suggestion thanx both of you...

pushkar

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl