Spline vc ribbon spine??? (4 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 6 years ago
    #

Hello.

I was wondering which setup is better... the normal spline spine or the ribbon spine from fahrenheit Digital?
    I like the ribbon spine, but I wonder if there's any problem (that I can't see now) that will arise later on.

Same for the "noFlipKnee" from art of rigging. So far I think it's cleaner and more convenient than a pole vector ctrl, but I was wondering if there's any cons about it.
    From what I heard most animators like the PV ctrls. Is it true?

Thanks!
    Dimitri

2. Mark Hanny

Posted 6 years ago
    #

From my experience you're going to have animators that will want one or the other. Sometimes they'll even want both. For example our spine is a simple three controller fk setup with spline controls on top of that. The spline controls can be turned on or off depending on the animators preference. The best solution is talking to your animators and finding out what they like and what hinders their workflow.

3. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 6 years ago
    #

Yeah, talking to animators is key.

Though be careful about talking to too many animators! Like Mark says, some will want something others something different and you can't always provide everything.

The way we do things is to have a character animator (most often the head of character animation for the movie) make all the decisions.

4. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 6 years ago
    #

-Talk to animators
    -Get final opinion from Head of animation
    -be prepared to have both options

I'm writing this down. Need to get ready once I get out there
    Thanks guys!

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl