Auto skinning (5 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Hi guys.
    I've been learning scripting and I'm making my first auto-rig scripts.
    I want to take the next step and learn how to make an auto-skinning script, but I don't know where to start...
    I heard that Jason Osipa has an awesome auto-skinning script that is flawless.
    I heard his script can rig any biped with just the click of a button

I have no idea where to start approaching auto skinning scripting...
    Any good advice? Books perhaps?
    Thanks!

2. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

"I heard that Jason Osipa has an awesome auto-skinning script that is flawless.
    I heard his script can rig any biped with just the click of a button"

haha... I would like to see that.

There is no perfect super button. You might be able to get some decent results, but certainly not production quality. At least not that I can see

3. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 7 years ago
    #

I'm glad you're laughing at it. That kinda comforts me.
    In class we always hear rumors like that.... which is really intimidating for a student.

Do you paint weights at DW? Or do they have a one button script
    Thanks.

4. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

There is no magic button script... and if you claim you have one, I won't believe it until I see the results. I mean, you can probably have one, but the chances are that I won't be impressed with the results and you'll have to do a lot of work on top of it to make it production ready. I guess it depends on what you call "good enough". We have pretty high standards at DW and we do a lot of work to make sure that they models deform perfectly.

We spend A LOT of time working on deformations.
    We have tons of different tools to do different things. And we didn't have any need to paint weight until recently because of some new tools. But in general, we use our pain tools very little. We have other cool stuff that doesn't need to be painted
    Some of these tools are at the core of the special system we have at DW that is secret and can't talk too much about it

5. thanapooms

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Hi, at my work place, we still use tradition paint skin weight tool from maya. I prefer to use Tool called Skinny Tool from Asi Sudai and transfer weight by vertex order( python script write in House)

But we are not start over paint weight every single biped character. we use same topology mesh modify to change to another character. Modeler must respect certain area of elbow, knee,knuckle,clavicle..etc that they must use in same area. and then transfer weight by vertex order. in this way,You will got 80-90% weight done without redo from start.

If you 're looking for weight transfer script.If you can find plug-ins script that good but if you cannot find free one,I recommend to look for "DoraSkinWeightImpExp" free mel script that really useful and rely able( just slow for hires mesh)

So there are no magic tool that can do from what you heard( so far as i can find at this moment)
    even maya introduce interective bind skin(capsule one) I found out you still need to back to regular paint weight tool anyway for refine detail. It might look slow, but If u plan ahead,it will save a lot of time. for example,
    -skin weight on lowres and transfer weight to hires later.
    -use symmetrical model at start point to get general weight done for mirror weight and then switch to asymmetrical mesh later

thanks maya that trasferweight and mirror weight still useful. but export skin weight by map still really not useful if your UV not good.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl