Rigging101 » Rigging128

Quadruped Sitting Rig (7 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Hey everyone, I've been working on a rig for a quadruped and am having a hard time getting the rear legs to sit down properly with any of the dog leg set ups I've tried. (sitting like this with the butt all the way down and the knees up http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-10686072-portrait-of-leopard-sitting-against-white-background.php)

I was just playing with the Great Dane rig to see if it might provide some insight, but ran into the same issue with trying to pose him into a fully seated position. Does anyone know of a good setup to get this kind of flexibility into the animal model? I appreciate any feedback, even just pointing me in the direction of some resources I may not know of. Thanks!

2. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

We have some pretty fancy deformation tools at work that allows us to do this.

In Shrek4 Michael Hutchinson wrote some very cool stuff to have Fat Puss In Boots be able to be a quadruped, a biped and be able to do everything from walk (in bi or quad), run, sit, etc. all in one rig.

Not sure how I would do this in Maya without my custom tools now :S

3. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Ahhh lucky That sounds like one amazing rig. I wish I could use, or even make tools like that to work with. Game engines don't like much more than bones and morph targets. It would be great to see the kinds of rig setups a big CG studio has and works with. Hmmm, this may be a long shot, but does Dreamworks by chance give any kind of studio tours? I might be down in San Francisco in February for the Game Developers Conference and it would be great to even see a studio like you guys have.

4. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

Yeah sure.. come on by. Let me know and come on over for lunch

I can't show you the rigs but you can certainly visit the studio.

As far as our rigs go. The motion system is not crazy crazy fancy. There are some cool solutions for some things, but in general, there is so much you can do with motion systems (we work a little bit different, so there are things we can get around that are hard with a hierarchy solution, but still) You just have access to a lot more controls that you would in a game rig. And there are a lot of different ways to achieve certain things. We give tons of options to the animations. Regardless, the motion system is very well established and pretty solid.

The big difference is in the deformations. We have tons of solutions for different and cool things we can do. And the best part is that if we can't get something to work, we just write a new deformer or new solution that will allow us to do what we need. We have an awesome R&D group that supports us. And a lot of the Character TDs are very technical so they often write their own things and if it kicks ass, we send it to R&D to incorporate it into our tools.

I can't imagine deforming something with Maya's tool now. I would feel so constrained. :S

5. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

That would be awesome, if I make it down for GDC I'll be sure to let you know so we can hopefully meet up for lunch. I don't expect to see the rigs :p but some day I'm sure I'll get to see and make them first hand.

Even though working in the confines of a game engine can be challenging to get the quality results without anything beyond Maya's base tools, and challenging in a really fun way coming up with systems to do it all and do it faster. I really want to get my hands on making character setups without those confines.

When you say motion system do you mean motion capture? I'm not familiar with the term outside of that.

Also, since this thread was initially about it, just thought I'd drop this in. I figured out the quadruped problem. It actually had to do with using freeze transformations causing the IK solvers to solve incorrectly. Well, not incorrectly, but not in the expected way. But nothing to do with the actual rig setup.

6. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

Rigs can be divided into two things:

1) motion systems (controls, constraints, etc etc. Basically, what makes the rig move)
    2) deformation system (whichever deformation technique you use, being straight joint deformation, blendshapes or any other fancy setup you can come up with)

That's all

7. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Aha, I hadn't really thought of distinguishing different ways of setting up a rig as different motion systems. Makes perfect sense though. Thank you for sharing that.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl