Rigging101 » Chit Chat12

rate me..! (4 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. mlrtiq

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Ok I'm a little bit nervous about doing this considering the company I can see on these listings, but I'd like to get some feedback on my demo reel.

(demo reel jun 2010 720x405)
    http://vimeo.com/12890777

(heavy weight biped technical reel)
    http://vimeo.com/12969463

Javier and Jason will see a lot of their techniques used in my reel (mixed in with other techniques from here and there)... Suggestions and comments will be warmly welcomed. (my goal is to eventually gain full time work in the industry)

Kindest regards Tani..

2. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Hi Tani, I'm not sure how well I can rate you, but I'm happy to provide some feedback on the reels. For the biped technical reel, from what I could make out of it, it looked like it could be good. However, you have the speed cranked up so high that it's really hard to actually see what you're demoing. Some advice I got a while ago on putting together a reel to demo a specific rig was to show it's use-ability instead of flashing through all of it's functionality. Meaning pose the character into some interesting and exaggerated positions rather than grabbing a control object and shaking it about. While you're posing it viewers will see the functionality that got you to that pose and watching a character quickly get moved into an interesting pose is a lot more appealing than just seeing limbs pushed around and undone.

I think it would also be nice to see the skinned mesh deforming with the rig for that heavy weight character. Having the broken mesh for animating is awesome for speeding up the rig for animation but it would be more interesting/impressive to see that guy actually deforming and moving.

For the demo reel, I really have to suggest that you find an animator or drop the work of the girl from your reel. Only your absolute best should be on a reel, anything that's not will detract from the entire reel and I didn't feel like it added anything to show what you can do. She had some really bad clipping at her thighs and it's clear that animation isn't your forte.

I hope this is helpful, and keep up the work!

3. mlrtiq

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Thanks for that, those are good points... I'll be updating the reel soon (1 or 2 months)... and it will have a spanking brand new quadruped rig in there..! I'll try adding those points you just raised too...

Many thanx... Tani...

4. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Awesome! I'll look forward to seeing the updated reel.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Chit Chat12
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl