Rigging101 » Rigging128

Internships (3 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Dimitri Frazao

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Do you guys know where to look for rigging internships?

I've been looking at a few studio's websites and I couldn't find anything...
    There's always animation, concept art and story internships, but no rigging.
    Is there a different name for such a position?

Also... what is a good book/tutorial to start learning mel and mel for rigging?

This forum is awesome! I've been reading tons of posts
    Thanks!

2. Javier "Goosh" Solsona (admin)

Key Master
    Posted 7 years ago
    #

Hey Dimitri

Glad you like the forum

I'm not aware of any rigging internships. But there might be some out there. Usually rigging teams are rather small, and a lot of studios (specially smaller ones) want people with experience.

Yeah, it sucks, it's a catch 22.

That's why it's good to work on your best reel ever and go from there

There are a few mel books (Complete Maya programming, etc) I haven't read them in a while and I haven't seen the latest editions, but they certainly helped me in the beginning

Hope that helps

J

3. sim.On

Posted 7 years ago
    #

in order to find an internship , you really need some good rigging / skinning basics ( or better intermediate knowledge ) - expectations are quite high - compared to e.g. an internship in the compositing-departments.

from my experience , only the big studios can afford rigging-internships in order to prepare new-riggers for work and to have qualified people for later productions. smaller studios simply cannot afford , preparing starters .

when it comes to rigging - people want to hire mostly expert-level TDs ... as ( unfortunately ) in many cases the work of inexperienced riggers often cannot be used in production / or can cause problems later in the pipeline , and , when it comes to skinning (which is the final goal during production to have great deformations) - studios are mainly seeking very talented and production-experienced characterTDs .

very big studios ( with large rigging-departments consisting of many artists / programmers ) always got minor-rigging-work to do . but therefore they always choose the best applicants for these positions - and as these bigcompanies are worldwide known , and lots of people want to work there - you need to make sure , that you got some really interessting pieces of work , being shown in your showreel .

smaller studios , producting TV_commercials ... pick out the best available freelancer(s) in order to deliver in time , when it comes to deadlines .

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl