Rigging101 » Rigging128

Eye Control Question (3 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. Mark Neil

Posted 7 years ago
    #

I've created an eye controler using aim constraint on the eyeballs... But I'm having trouble figuring out what to parent it to. If I parent it to the head, Shoulder or Cog controls, the eye controler will be bouncing around with the animation, and you'd get wild eyes, but if you parent it to the World control, the character will leave the eye controler behind. Any advice?

2. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

For something like this I usually stay more concerned with how the eyes are going to be affected than the controller.

If you parent the eye controller to the head the controller will stay in one location in front of the character's face which will keep the eyes focused straight ahead. The eyes shouldn't get wild with this.

If you parent it to the shoulders the eyes will stay looking out from the shoulders even when the head is rotated which means you'll need to animate the controller if you want the character to continue looking straight ahead. If you move farther away from that the eyes are going to need to be counter animated more and more.

3. mzahmbie

Posted 7 years ago
    #

One other thing I wanted to mention. The best rigs I've seen have the eye controller set up to space switch between global/world space and the head. This lets the animator choose how they want to work with it and provides the best control so that the eyes can follow the head or stay focused on an object/space no matter what actions the character is doing.

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl