Rigging101 » Rigging128

Poly smoothing quandary? (5 posts)

About This Topic

Tags

No tags yet.

1. greatbear

Posted 7 years ago
    #

I've modelled a poly character that needs smoothing out. Tried a sub-d conversion (which looks ok)and also converted smoothpreview to polygon, but the face count bumps up to about 6000. It looks nice and smooth but there's a bit of resolution overkill in places. The model's going to be rigged and skinned so will need weight painting etc.

I'm not really sure what is acceptable when it comes to face count - I know if your modelling for game it should be lower than vfx for film. I suppose what I need to know is how smooth it out the most economically, with the best results, that can be skinned and animated.

If anyone has any suggestions or could point me in the direction of some good info/tuts then that would be fantastic.

Cheers

GB

2. evad

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Smoothing the object can occur after skinning and weight painting. Essentially, skin and paint your weights on the low-res model, then when you are done you can just go to Mesh>Smooth come render time. This will create a polySmoothFace node. If you want to undo the smooth, just delete that node.

3. greatbear

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Ah right!

Does the same apply for a convert smoothmesh preview to poly command (under Modify). One of the main problems is i've used a poly cylinder as an eys socket, when I do a Mesh - Smooth it still looks faceted, not round like I wanted.

4. evad

Posted 7 years ago
    #

In maya 2009, converting smoothmesh preview to poly is the same thing as mesh - smooth. The difference is probably in the settings. Smoothmesh preview ups the divisions on the polySmoothFace node to 2. I think by default it is just one. If it still looks faceted with hier divisions, try Normals>Soften edge. Another handy attribute on the polySmoothFace node is "continuity". If this is set to 1, a smoothed cube will look like a sphere. If it is set to 0, the cube retains its cube shape but it has more subdivisions.

5. greatbear

Posted 7 years ago
    #

Cheers evad!

I've had a play about with the settings on the poly smooth window, starting to get some ok results on the linear settings. What about if i convert it to a subdivision? How does that affect it in terms of polycount, cos it seems to give the best result?

You must log in to post.

Rigging101 » Rigging128
1,099 posts in 307 topics over 110 months by 188 of 8,226 members. Latest: fashionpvp, d2q4p5z2j, gasheldonl